Thursday, June 18, 2009

A song for a tough year and a half...


Today's blog is going to begin with a chris g. fun fact :)  

I have been a writer of poetry, song's, short stories, and play's since I was about 14 years old and have often used the written word to attempt to express in words what my heart feels (Maybe one day I will share some of my writings).  I'm not saying that I have done a great job but I have won $, rewards, and scholarships based on my past writings.  I was actually about to go to UNCG for their creative writing program but I felt God leading me to finish college at John Wesley College which I found to be a blessing to me in my life, ministry, and spiritual growth (I find I need to keep growing so much everyday).  

We all hear songs that we have to share, or read story's that touch us, and sometimes we even hear a song in which the lyrics touch us so deeply that we have to share them as an extension of what we are feeling in our own personal lives.  Today is just a small blog about a song that recently has touched me.  I have had a rough time for a little while now with some thing's that I have been dealing with and this song seems to express it better than I can.  How often in life have we felt tossed about by a storm?  How often do we feel as if we are drowning in life's troubles?  How often do we feel as if our world is upside down?

As you read the lyrics I encourage you to maybe share with me some of the storms in life you have gone through recently... if you want to place it anonymously, than there is no way for me to know who it is that sent it (not that I would even try to search), so feel free to send your "Storm story" to me anonymously.



Storm by Lifehouse

How long have I been in this storm? 
So overwhelmed by the ocean's shapeless form 
Water's getting harder to tread 
With these waves crashing over my head 

If I could just see you 
Everything would be alright 
If I'd see you 
This darkness would turn to light 

And I will walk on water 
And you will catch me if I fall 
And I will get lost into your eyes 
And everything will be alright 
And everything is alright...

I know you didn't bring me out here to drown 
So why am I ten feet under and upside down? 
Barely surviving has become my purpose 
Because I'm so used to living underneath the surface 

If I could just see you 
Everything would be alright 
If I'd see you 
This darkness would turn to light 

And I will walk on water 
And you will catch me if I fall 
And I will get lost into your eyes 
And everything will be alright...


5 comments:

*~A~* said...

I'm struggling with some things from my past. I have fallen into depression. I began cutting again, something I haven't done since the age of 12. I can't get free from the chains that are holding me. I don't know where God is. I don't even know where the real me is. I told my mother about some of my past today for the first time ever...hoping she would hold me as I cried, hoping she would tell me everything was going to be ok, that I could make it through this. Instead, she told me it was my fault, that I could have stopped it, that I needed to "brush myself off and get over it". It crushed everything within me. I have no fight left. I need to be rescued...

Chris G's Blog said...

First, I want you to know that you are not alone, life gets hard for all of us, and I want you to know that I understand some of what you are feeling. When I was a teenager I used to cut on myself to try to make myself stop feeling pain, it never worked, it just made me feel worse.

If you are a victim of something that someone has done to you than you are a victim and it is not your fault. Is it the cashier' fault that the gunman robs him or the gunman's faulty? It sounds as if your mother might not want to accept that she might have been able to stop it and she might be trying to throw it off on you.

It sounds as if whatever happened happened before you were twelve and in reality, what can someone that young do to protect themselves? The ONLY way you could have stopped it is to have told your parents about it.

I want you to know that in front of God you are a beautiful, special, wonderful, person that He loves more than anything. YOU matter to Him in more ways than you can imagine. PLEASE, PLEASE talk to a Christian counselor, therapist, or Pastor about this. If you have my phone number than PLEASE don't hesitate to call me.

Foonie said...

Chris, as you know I have been going through my own storm the last couple of months with the condition in my neck. I am getting ready to go to a funeral this morning, my aunt. She was 91 years old and was a great lady. She had lots of storms to overcome over the years. Her husband left her when my cousin was just a baby and she raised her son on her own. She was a very strong woman and I have always admired her for what she did in life, and now as I go to honor her in death, I think about all the struggles she had to endure and mine don't seem so big anymore. I am in pain everyday of my life now because of this condition but I will be able to live past that pain just thinking about everything she has been through in her 91 years. She along with my own mother are my heroes in my heart. They were both very strong independent women that didn't depend on a man for anything but they both loved the Lord very much! I am very honored to have had them in my family and been able to love them. They are my guiding force to make it through my storm, and God is the beacon of light for me. I will be okay, I may be in pain but I will be Okay just knowing I have God in my heart!

Chris G's Blog said...

Foonie,
Thank you so much for your positive posting. YOU sound pretty inspirational to me, so I believe that your Aunt would be proud of you. My condolences on the loss of your Aunt. She sounds like someone I would have liked to have known, and she sounds like a person that has made you better for knowing her. Thank you so much for sharing some of your storm with me.

Anonymous said...

Songs & storms... they just go together. At one of the lowest times of my life the Doobie Brother's '...She lost her home and her family, And she won't be coming back,' was written for me! I KNEW IT! My life was over... I sobbed like a baby when I heard it... and it was OLD!

But then, one nite, I don't know why he did it... one of my sons sang a song... TO ME:

'To Be With You' by Mr Big

'Hold on little girl
Show me what he's done to you
Stand up little girl
A broken heart can't be that bad
When it's through, it's through
Fate will twist the both of you
So come on Mama, come on over
Let me be the one to show you'

'I'm the one who wants to be with you
Deep inside I hope you feel it too
Waited on a line of greens and blues
Just to be the one to be with you'

'Build up your confidence
So you can be on top for once
Wake up who cares about
Little boys that talk too much
I've seen it all go down
Your game of love was all rained out
So come on Mama, come on over
Let me be the one to hold you'

'Why be alone when we can be together
You can make my life worthwhile
And I can make you start to smile'

'When it's through, it's through
Fate will twist the both of you
So come on Mama, come on over
Let me be the one to show you'


And when I say he sang it... he got up infront of 2 brothers and 'performed' it! This song was for ME... from him. He'll never know how much it meant to me. I was literally dying inside... crying everyday... everynight. But this song stayed with me... and so did HE! He didn't just sing it... he PROVED IT! Thank you, Son. God bless you... as he blessed me with you! Love Always, Mom