Tuesday, July 7, 2009

All of the loss that I have recently seen...

Recently there has been a number of people that have passed away that I have known of.  There have been those famous people who have passed that everyone already knows about and there have been a couple of people in my own personal life that have passed away recently as well.  

These other people are not famous or rich (I am not putting down anyone who is famous or rich that has recently passed away), but they were still people who had potential and lives in which they impacted many people.

The first one was a young man named Glen (he was only a couple of years older than me) who passed away recently.  Glenn was a person who attended the church that I pastored at last yea and he was a very good man.  He left behind a beautiful child named Emma and a special woman named Lois.  He was very educated and was involved in the ministry and he liked to help people.  He helped to make the world a better place. If the world was filled with people like Glenn, the world would be a lot more peaceful than it is.

The second person was a child named Michael who was 2 years old.  His father is a Marine named Brian who just had back surgery and is in a wheelchair.  Brian is currently at a hospital having a nervous breakdown and could use your prayers.  Michael is survived by Brian, his mother Melissa and Joyce, not to mention his siblings.  Michael had the kind of smile that made you believe that anything was possible and he even dressed up as the Flash for Halloween.  Eyes couldn't get any more bluer than little Michael's.

How many of us have been affected by the loss of a loved one in our lives and in what way were we impacted by those that we have loved and lost?  How long will we remember those that have gone on before us?  

I remember a girl that I knew that passed away 18 years ago when I was 16.  I remember the anguish, the pain, and the despair, as well as the things about this person that made me care for her.  Even to this day I still think about her and I wonder if I will ever forget.

I can't help but imagine what people would say about me if I passed away tonight.  What legacy will I leave behind, who have I hurt, who have I helped, is the world different because of my life? 

The big question is what will people say about you if you were to pass away?  Is the world better because of you?  Did you help someone to believe in something?  Did you help other people?  Did you love as much as you could have?

I invite everyone reading to share some stories that they might have about someone they have lost and I invite everyone to answer the questions that I have asked.  If you are one of the people blessed enough to have known either Glenn, or Michael, than I encourage you to share what you feel.  I also strongly encourage everyone to please direct your prayers to both Glenn and Michael's family.  I can only imagine just how much they might need those prayers right now.

With Hope

This is not at all 
How we thought it was supposed to be
We had so many plans for you
We had so many dreams
And now you've gone away
And left us with the memories of your smile
And nothing we can say
And nothing we can do
Can take away the pain
The pain of losing you, but ...

We can cry with hope
We can say goodbye with hope
'Cause we know our goodbye is not the end,
And we can grieve with hope
'Cause we believe with hope
(There's a place by God's grace)
There's a place where we'll see your face again

And never have I known
Anything so hard to understand
And never have I questioned more
The wisdom of God's plan
But through the cloud of tears
I see the Fathers smile and say well done
And I imagine you
Where you wanted most to be
Seeing all your dreams come true
'Cause now you're home
And now you're free, and ...

We have this hope as an anchor
'Cause we believe that everything
God promised us is true, so ...

So we can cry with hope
And say goodbye with hope

We wait with hope
And we ache with hope
We hold on with hope
We let go with hope


God bless,
chris g.

2 comments:

Foonie said...

Chris, You are such a great man in my eyes. You know how to touch a person's soul by your words.
I only knew Michael through my friend here on Space but you are so right about those blue eyes!
I have been touched by death in a personal level with my mom. She passed away 6 years ago this past Thanksgiving and I can remember all the talks that we had leading up to her death! I was having a hard time dealing with watching her leaving me. I think the things that she talked to me about was to prepare me for when she did go. She talked about seeing a white horse one time I was there, someone riding a white horse in the mountains and I know you know what I am talking about. About a month before she passed she told me about a banquet she was going to. Then she passed on Thanksgiving night. She knew when she was going. I miss her more everyday of my life but I know that when I die she will be waiting there for me to give me one of her special hugs that I can still feel to this day! Thank you Chris, and yes you have made a large impact on my life and I know many others as well! Foonie

Anonymous said...

Chris I have been asking myself this question for a few weeks. I am so ashamed of myself... I was saved when I was a teenager and I have a family and go to church every Sunday but if I died today I don't know if I would go to Heaven. I'm scared and I feel like I have hurt God. I can't pray anymore. I feel too guilty and too ashamed. I have an addiction. Not drugs or Alcohol. I would call my addiction. Attention from the opposite sex. I want to be a different person. With all this attention I am lonely and unhappy. I know God loves me but I don't know why. I am discussed with myself. I want to stop but I don't know how.