Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My testimony...

It has been months since I last blogged (not like anyone missed it, j/k, I hope), and I thought that I would share a small thing that I did for the Wednesday night bible study at church.  It is simply my testimony...

In June of 1999 my life was changed in ways that I had never before thought were possible.  Way to start out my story, huh?  Would it do any better if I started from what I was like before my life was changed?

Before June of 1999 I was not the kind of person that would be standing before you now.  I was not the kind of guy that you would want to have dating your daughter, I was not the guy you would let house sit for you, I was not the guy that would go to college, I was not the guy who would graduate high school, I was not the guy who would even live to see 25 years of age, and to tell the truth I wasn’t even the guy you could trust with the Happy Meals at McDonalds. 

The guy that I used to be was scum.  I was the guy who used drugs and alcohol, I was the guy who hurt every person around him, I was the guy who hated the world, and I was the guy who was an atheist who not only didn’t believe in God, I didn’t believe in love.

But let me tell you about a weird thing that happened in 1999.  I got out of the Army and one day I decided I was going to take a chance and believe that there was a God who not only existed, but a God that loved me.

From that moment my life was drastically changed.  I went to college (got 2 bachelor’s degree’s), got off of drugs and alcohol (clean for 10 years now), and I feel a joy that the worst times of my life could not erase.  I have changed only because of what God has done through me.  I was worthless and priceless at the same time.  I was of no value to the world, but Jesus found me to be a jewel without measure.  I owe everything to the one who changed me into what I never thought I could become...I owe everything to Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior.                                                Chris G.              5/20/09

Just a little while longer I wanna pray

I can't get You off my mind so I came to say

Thank You Lord, just for loving me

Many times I do forget

Every need that You have met

Oh thank You Lord, I know You show in me

You are there when I am down and out

You're holding me, Your love is so amazingIt changed me


Here I am with all I have

I raise my hands to worship You

I wanna say thank you, Lord thank you

For everything, for who You are

You cover me, You touch my heart

I wanna say thank you


I could have died in my sin but You saved me

I didn't have any hope at all

You gave me peace divine, strength to carry on

I should have been the one to pay

But instead You took my place

Amazing grace, it's more than just a song

Even though I don't deserve Your love for me

You look beyond my fault and You showed me mercy


Here I am with all I have

I raise my hands to worship You

I wanna say thank you, Lord thank you

For everything, for who You are

You cover me, You touch my heart

I wanna say thank you...





The above song is by the Katina's and the lyics just fits so well.


6 comments:

Foonie said...

Pastor Chris, I have missed your blogs very much because I always enjoy reading what you have to say because I always learn something from what you have to say. Tonight I learned that you are just human just like the rest of us, we have made many mistakes in our lives and I know that I am not done making mistakes because I am just human too! But I do know that God will forgive me, all I have to do is ask him, which I do every night before going to sleep. I ask him every night that if I have done or said something to hurt someone today to please forgive me and I hope and pray that the person can forgive me too. I have learned a lot in this last 2 months, and a lot of it has come to me in a very hard way, a way that has hurt my feelings many times over, but none of that matters because I know that The Lord loves me and that is all I know that I need to know to make me happy!!

Chris G's Blog said...

Thank you Foonie for your insight. You always have something positive to say.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, I just want to say "that was awesome". I knew the old you. I have to tell you I like the new you so much better. I think it's awesome that you changed your life around. Hope your having a wonderful day. :O

SHERRY

Anonymous said...

Chris,

Thanks for sharing at church last night - thanks for all you do for Mt. Pleasant. I didn't know you before you you were saved, but I can honestly say that you have changed a lot - for the better - even since I have known you.

Thanks for being a friend and example.

Brent T.

LeighAnne said...

Chris...this is just what I needed to hear tonight!! I have been struggling for so long...with my ex husband, child custody, etc.!! I sometimes fail to realize that God is always there for me...He WANTS me to look to Him and I fail Him miserably!! I feel like THE worst Christian at times!!

Chris G's Blog said...

Sherry,
You are a great friend now, just like you were a great friend back than. I am grateful to have you and Ritch in my life. Tell me karnad hola.

LeighAnne,
God put the two of us into each others life for a reason and I think it was so that the two of us could encourage one another. Iron sharpens iron. I know how easy it is to feel bad for the short comings that we have but it is like I told a friend a few years ago. "As long as we keep fighting the fight we won't lose the battle. It is only when we stop fighting that we lose". You are a wonderful person and I pray and think of you constantly, keep up the good work.

chris g.